|Title||The First Public Buildings in Chevy Chase|
The First Public Buildings in Chevy Chase (p. 1 of 4: see 1000.118.02-04)
By Eleanor Ford
1995 Chevy Chase Historical Society Exhibit
[2008.181.24 and 1995.07.04b]
On the west side of Chevy Chase Circle, between Grafton Street and Magnolia Parkway, the Chevy Chase Land Company built a temporary office, in 1892, to use until their Chevy Chase Lake office was ready. (See adjacent panel [#2]) In 1894 the Land Company turned over the yellow frame building, rent free, to the Montgomery County Commissioner of Education for a local school. The Land Company provided heat, the County supplied the teacher and equipment. There were fifteen students the first year, twenty-six (a full house) the second, and many applicants had to be turned away. The school moved to Bradley Lane in 1898 (see below [2008.166.03]). The building was used for a time as a real estate sales office of the Fisher Company. In 1897 the Reverend H. Allen Griffith of the Bethesda parish started a mission and Sunday school here, which soon grew into All Saints Episcopal Church adjacent. The building was replaced in 1906 by the present house on the site, but the patterned boxwood garden laid out by Nathan Barrett, landscape designer for the Land Company, is still there at the edge of the Circle.
This house at 3905 Bradley Lane, just west of Connecticut Avenue, was built by the Chevy Chase Land Company in 1898 for a community school. It operated until 1903 when the new public school south of Chevy Chase Circle had drawn away too many students. In 1929 the house was bought by the Devereux family and has been a private home ever since.