|Title||Origins of the Name "Chevy Chase:" a Tale of Battles and Ballads|
Origins of the Name "Chevy Chase" a Tale of Battles and Ballads exhibit
March 20, 1994 for Section 3 and the Chevy Chase Historical Society Gala at 3709 Bradley Lane
by Eleanor Ford
2. Otterbourne, Maryland, 1894 [1989.24.08]
September, 1892: The Rock Creek Railway Company's new trolley line, from Columbia Road to Chevy Chase Lake, laid on the Chevy Chase Land Company's newly constructed Connecticut Avenue, opened to the public. The Land Company offered for sale house lots in Section 2 where it was just finishing the first four houses.
December, 1892: Mr. John Frank Ellis bought 14 1/2 acres of farmland along Brookeville Road from Mr. J. M. C. Williams.
July, 1894: Mr. Ellis plotted 4 streets and 69 house lots which he put on sale. The southern boundaries of the southern row of lots are now the line between Sections 3 and 5.
Mr. Ellis named Otterbourne's Streets Melrose (Thornapple Court), Dalkeith, Douglas (now Underwood) and Percy (now Thornapple).
Who was Mr. John Frank Ellis?
Can you give us any information about him?