|Title||7401 Brookville Road|
7401 Brookville (Brookeville) Road "End Lane" Bradshaw House (p. 1 of 8: see 1000.127.02-08)
Exhibit by Evelyn Gerson for the 2009 Chevy Chase Historical Society Gala at 7401 Brookville Road
This house is historically significant because it was the first built on land from the subdivided No Gain estate owned by Isabella Griffith. Griffith inherited the No Gain farmhouse and its surrounding 64 acres from her sister, and decided to capitalize on the nearby suburban development by the Chevy Chase Land Company. She and her husband subdivided their land to create three large lots on Brookville Road, north of Thornapple Street, and sold the rest to developer Harry Martin (Martin's Additions). In 1902, Leonard and Elizabeth Bradshaw purchased one of these three lots - a substantial 5.7 acres for $500 dollars - and began building their residence the following year. As seen by the plat map above, the Bradshaw estate marked the northernmost limit of development in Chevy Chase from its construction until the late 1930s. The original driveway entrance on Brookville Road is flanked by two tall stone pillars, one of which features a discrete marker reading End Lane, a designation frozen in time.
After the death of her husband, Elizabeth Bradshaw sold the property to Ellen O'Neil with a $10,000 deed of trust. Builder/Contractor John O'Neil and his wife Annie lived at the residence for only a few years but during their brief tenure sold the northern tip of the property along Brookville Road; a .395 acre lot north of present Windsor Place. In 1923, the O'Neils sold their home to lawyer George McCabe and his wife Eleanor. Between 1941 and 1958, the McCabes surveyed their land and from it carved out an 8-lot cul-de-sac presently known as Windsor Place.
Photograph of the original Bradshaw house, 7401 Brookville Road, reprinted from Clare Cavicchi's "Places From the Past: The Tradition of Gardez Bien in Montgomery County, Maryland." [2009.129.01]
This house is architecturally significant as an unusually fine example of an Art and Crafts style large-scale bungalow. The home is located on a spacious 1 1/4 acre lot and generously set back from Brookville Road in the Village of Chevy Chase, Section 5. This one and a half story stone residence features a broad low side gable roof covered with terra cotta pantiles. A generous wraparound porch has wooden columns with battered sides supported by stone piers. The matching two-bay stone garage slightly southwest of the home has a pyramidal hipped roof also covered with terra cotta pantiles. In 2008, an extensive renovation and addition were completed by the current owners. Much care was given to the historical nature and architectural vernacular of this historic home during the renovation's design and implementation.
Front and rear view photographs of 7401 Brookville Road courtesy of Jason Weil photography. [2009.127.05 and 2009.127.13]