|Title||The First Public Buildings in Chevy Chase|
The First Public Buildings in Chevy Chase (p. 3 of 4: see 1000.118.01-02, 1000.118.04)
By Eleanor Ford
1995 Chevy Chase Historical Society Exhibit
Theodore A. Sonnemann, Sr. and Jr. owned and ran the Chevy Chase Market for many, many years, at 6509 Brookeville Road (at Quincy Street). The Sonnemanns had a dairy farm in Tenallytown and they carried merchandise out from Georgetown.
The Sonnemanns' delivery service was started in the 1890s in response to the competition from the Chevy Chase Land Company's newly completed Connecticut Avenue streetcar.
In 1955 the Sonnemanns' cousin Chester E. Mills opened the Chevy Chase Village Supply in the Market building, selling household hardware and supplies. High's Dairy then occupied the front space, and the Village Supply moved to the rear until it closed in 1979.
In 1981 the building burned. The site is now a park, next to 6515 Brookeville Road which the elder Theodore Sonnemann built in 1906.