|Title||The First Public Buildings in Chevy Chase|
The First Public Buildings in Chevy Chase (p. 4 of 4: see 1000.118.01-03)
By Eleanor Ford
1995 Chevy Chase Historical Society Exhibit
The Springs Inn, 7100 Connecticut Avenue, was designed by Lindley Johnson for the Chevy Chase Land Company. It was adjacent to the many springs to the west in the center of Section 4. Renamed the Chevy Chase Inn, it opened May 13, 1894. With landscaped grounds, stables, bowling alley, music every evening, and a dollar table d'hôte, it was planned as a magnet to draw potential buyers of land.
[2008.195.17 and 2008.195.13]
Too expensive to keep open all year as a hotel, it was rented to a series of schools in the following winters. In 1903 the original frame building was bricked, two side buildings added, and it became the Chevy Chase College and Seminary for Young Ladies, with a trolley waiting room on Connecticut Avenue. In 1917 Dr. Frederic Farrington established the Chevy Chase School here which became a Junior College in 1927. In 1951 it was bought by the National 4H Club Foundation.
Early public buildings of which we have no photographs - can you help?
1.The Chevy Chase Library - 5906 Connecticut Avenue
2.The first Rosemary Street school - 4 wooden buildings south of Rosemary, just east of the Circle
3.The Chevy Chase Lake amusement park buildings: bowling alley, dance pavilion, band stand, hot dog stand, etc.
The Chevy Chase Historical Society has prepared this exhibit for the Friends of the Chevy Chase Library. For the use of their photographs we thank:
All Saints Episcopal Church
The Chevy Chase Land Company
William W. Duvall
Edith C. Jarvis
The Martin Luther King Library
William E. Mills
J. Willard Nalls, Jr.
Julia R. Thomas
Robert A. Truax