|Title||16 Magnolia Parkway exhibit|
16 Magnolia Parkway exhibit for the Chevy Chase Historical Society Gala
by Susan Elwell
16 Magnolia Parkway
Chevy Chase Village, MD
The home of Catherine Cotter and John Finneran was constructed around 1911 by Dr. Charles and Mary Clark who resided there until 1965.
The house is built in the craftsman style, and influenced by the architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright, with stucco walls and long overhanging eaves.
During the Clark years, the main entrance was on West Irving Street and the kitchen entrance was on Magnolia Parkway. There was a beautiful grove of pink dogwood trees at the Magnolia-West Irving corner of the property that other neighborhood residents remember.
[2008.286.09] Dogwood trees on the property of 16 Magnolia Parkway.
An old photograph of 16 Magnolia Parkway showing the former entrance on Irving Street and the grove of twenty eight dogwoods planted there by the Clark family (It was reported by the occupants of 16 West Kirke Street that the columns on the side porch of their house came from 16 Magnolia Parkway). Photograph courtesy of the Clark family.
[2008.286.04] The entrance to 16 Magnolia Parkway
[2008.286.01] 16 Magnolia Parkway from the West Irving side of the house
The house has changed hands four times since the Clark's ownership; it was purchased by Mr. Finneran and Ms. Cotter in 1998. They have restored the house as closely as possible to its original appearance.
Deeds to 16 Magnolia Parkway
Lots 15 & 16, Block 32, Section 2
Chevy Chase, MD
June 1890 the parcel of land that included this property was bought on behalf of the Chevy Chase Land Company JA 36, 61 &62
I. April 1909 property bought by Marie Stewart Bowen from the Chevy Chase Land Company for $3,750. The street name had previously been named Cypress Parkway.
II. May 1911 property bought by Charles and Mark Clark. Maps indicate that a house existed by 1916 so it may be assumed that it was built shortly after aquisition of the property in May 1911. It is a Craftsman style house with stucco walls, three bays, an asphalt pyramidal shaped roof, and is 2 1/2 stories in height.
III. July 1965 the Clark heirs, after the deaths of Charles and Mary, sold the house to James and Barbara Goodbody.
IV. September 1973 property bought by Alan and Sally Cassidy.
V. December 1988 property bought by Ronald and Elaine Shapiro for $1,250,000.
VI. June 1998 property bought by John Finneran and his wife Catherine Cotter.