|Title||The First Public Buildings of Chevy Chase|
The First Public Buildings in Chevy Chase (p. 2 of 4: see 1000.118.01, 1000.118.03-04)
By Eleanor Ford
1995 Chevy Chase Historical Society Exhibit
The Chevy Chase Library, 5906 Connecticut Avenue, was built, probably in 1901, by the Chevy Chase Free Library Association, which also raised money to buy books. This was the community center, the Village Hall, for church services, school, stage shows, dancing school, and a Land Company office. The Chevy Chase Round Table met here once a month for lectures, slide shows, and book reviews. In 1909 the post office moved into part of the building, then into the new north wing in 1912 where it is today. The south portion became the municipal center for Chevy Chase Village. Many subsequent additions have been made to the building.
The Library also housed the Village's first fire engine, a hand-pulled hose cart. The alarm bell, at the southeast (Kirke Street) corner, was the steel rim of a steam locomotive wheel hung on a steel frame.
The Chevy Chase Lake office for the Connecticut Avenue streetcar line was designed by Lindley Johnson, the Chevy Chase Land Company's architect, and built in 1893, of pressed brick with terra cotta trim. It housed the streetcar superintendant's office, where the first telephone in Chevy Chase was installed, the passengers' waiting room, and the Chevy Chase Land Company's Maryland office.
When the streetcar lined closed in 1935, the building became Granma's Antique Store, at the entrance to the swimming pool which had opened in 1925. In 1980 the building was moved to Hyattstown. The Parkway Cleaners, 8402 Connecticut Avenue, is now on the site.