|Title||"The Chevy Chase Land Company: The Beginning"|
"The Chevy Chase Land Company: The Beginning"
Exhibit produced by Eleanor Ford for the Chevy Chase Historical Society. Mounted in June 1990 to mark the 100th Anniversary of the Chevy Chase Land Company.
Map (2008.256.09) :
Plotting of the major artery between Chevy Chase Circle and the city: a topographical map of 1889-1891 by the U.S. Geological Survey.
Belt House- Home of original grantee of Chevy Chase
Plan of Internal Streets clustered Along the trolley line. G.M. Hopkins, Cartographer, 1894.
Landscaping Plan (2008.344.06):
Nathan Barret's landscaping plan for Chevy Chase Circle and Connecticut Avenue North--a succession of baroque intersections with double and triple rows of trees. Barrett's tree list: elm, pin oak, sycamore, maple, tulip poplar, white and black oak, locust, dogwood, judas tree. The elaborate pattern of Japanese boxwood, between Grafton and Magnolia, still exists.
A design for Chevy Chase Circle by Lindley Johnson (1854-1937), a Land Co. architect who designed the Chevy Chase Inn.
The present fountain, a memorial to Francis J. Newlands, was designed by Edward W. Donn and dedicated October 12, 1933.
Exhibit 2 of 6, see also 1000.106.01, .03-.06