|Title||"The District of Columbia Boundary Stones"|
"The District of Columbia Boundary Stones"
Exhibit, produced by Eleanor Ford for the Chevy Chase Historical Society.
This display concerns the 40 boundary stones set 1791 & 1792.
Northwest No. 6 in the early 1900s. From "A Ramble Along the Boundary Stones of the District of Columbia with a Camera"
by Fred Woodward, Records of the Columbia Historical Society, Volume 10.
A map locating the 40 boundary stones surveyed at one mile intervals in 1791 and 1792 outlining the 10 mile square, District of Columbia.
"Meet Benjamin Bannecker and Andrew Ellicott
200th Anniversary Celebration of the Historical Boundary Marker Northwest Number Six for the District of Columbia
Saturday, May 16, 1992* (Rain or Shine) 2 p.m.
Boundary Park Western Avenue & Park Place, Chevy Chase
Sponsored by M-NCPPC, Department of Parks, Montgomery County in cooperation with The Chevy Chase Historical Society and The Daughters of the American Revolution
For more information: Department of Parks ((301)840-5848 Montgomery Historical Society (301)762-1492
*This event is a FREE stop on the Chevy Chase House and Garden Pilgrimage. For more information about the Pilgrimage, call the Historical Society."
"The Original Boundary Stones of the District of Columbia"
Includes pictures of all 40 markers organized by southwest, northwest, northeast, and southeast lines.
From Chevy Chase Historical Newspaper, Fall 2009:
Circle Repairs Include Placement Of George Washington Bi-centennial Markers
According to Cindy Cox, Superintendent of Rock Creek Park, repair of Chevy Chase Circle following damage by two wayward motorists is 99 percent complete. The Senator Francis Griffith Newlands fountain basin and most of the nearby benches have been repaired. New flagstone walkways entering the inner circle area and surrounding the fountain have been completed. Replacement of plants and completion of the bench repairs are scheduled for this fall.
Some have asked why the beautiful display of the fountain in operation delighted residents and passers-by for a short time, then disappeared. Apparently, the timer for the Circle was not functioning due to power outages, and the fountain also was turned off before hurricane Isabel. It now is back on.
The dedication of the fountain took place on October 12, 1933. As part of the dedication, the Garden Club of America placed a pair of stone markers commemorating the bi-centennial of George Washington's birthday at the District of Columbia-Maryland line. Edward W. Dorm, architect and designer of Chevy Chase Circle, created the design for the rectangular columns, which the Garden Club also installed at five other "gateways" into Washington, D.C. For the Maryland entrances, the Lord Calvert coat of arms was carved on one side of the markers and the District of Columbia seal on the opposite side.
Approximately five years ago, the U.S. Park Service learned that a D.C. resident had a broken pillar in his backyard. Upon investigation, it was determined that the pillar was a George Washington bi-centennial marker. In 2000, an anonymous donor supplied funds to the Friends of Chevy Chase Circle to repair the marker. Shortly thereafter, the other entrance marker, which stood in the D.C. median strip on Connecticut Avenue south of the circle, was hit by an automobile and had to be removed for repairs. The Park Service now had two broken markers and no money with which to fix the second one. The Garden Club of Chevy Chase, many of its members, the Town of Chevy Chase, and area residents contributed funds for its restoration.
Recently, the Park Service installed the repaired markers inside the circle. 70 years after the dedication of the fountain and the markers, the Park Service is putting the finishing touches on the restoration of the beauty of the circle.