Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object ID 1000.127.04
Title 7401 Brookville Road
Object Name Exhibit
Date 2009
Creator Evelyn Gerson
Description 7401 Brookville (Brookeville) Road "End Lane" Bradshaw House (p. 4 of 8: see 1000.127.01-03 and 1000.127.05-08)
Exhibit by Evelyn Gerson for the 2009 Chevy Chase Historical Society Gala at 7401 Brookville Road

A Tour Down "Brookeville" Road
Most residents who lived in what later would be called Chevy Chase had properties along or with access to Brookeville Road. As the GM Hopkins Atlas from 1879 illustrates (below) two major unpaved "highways" extended from the District of Columbia through Chevy Chase: the Washington-Frederick Road (renamed Georgetown-Rockville Turnpike and now called Wisconsin Avenue) and the Tennallytown & Brookeville Road. These two thoroughfares were connected by Jackson Road, now called Bradley Lane. Brookeville Road was one of the main
access roads for the nation's capital, connecting the city to the town of Brookeville in the north, from which it gets its name. Surveyors during the 19th and early 20th centuries interchangeably referred to it as the "Tenallytown Road" or "Brookeville Road" in their maps, depending on
which community was their destination. Eventually "Brookeville" stuck. Rumor has it that during the War of 1812, President and First Lady Madison escaped DC from an impending British Invasion by traveling the Tennallytown & Brookeville Road, but this is incorrect. Dolley Madison fled south to Virginia where she was supposed to meet the President. He followed, but they never managed to reunite and when it was safe to return to the capital, he crossed the Potomac at Whites' Ferry and spent the night in Brookeville. Perhaps he came back down Brookeville Road to Washington, but never used it as an escape route. Once the Chevy Chase Land Company built its streetcar line for the opening of Section 2 (The Village) in 1893, development began to cluster around Connecticut Avenue. But while Connecticut Avenue has grown to bifurcate the community into those who live east and west of its busy lanes, "Brookeville" Road has consistently brought the community together at its neighborhood businesses where residents greet each other and feel like they live in a small town. This exhibit takes you on a tour down "Brookeville" road from Chevy Chase Village beyond Martin's Addition, through space and time, and introduces you to its street scenes, houses, local businesses, and residents throughout the last 100 years.

Views of Brookville Road

Minnie Brooke postcard looking south down Brookville Road at Primrose Street, circa 1908, donated by Robert A. Truax [2008.393.05]

Looking south down Brookville Road at Williams Lane, circa 1939. On the left of the photograph, 3701 Williams Lane. On the right, a for sale sign visible in front of the End Lane property, most likely advertising the newly re-subdivided lots along Windsor Place (See last panel of this exhibit), from the collection of the Chevy Chase Historical Society [1990.06.01]