|Title||7401 Brookville Road|
7401 Brookville (Brookeville) Road "End Lane" Bradshaw House (p. 3 of 8: see 1000.127.01-02 and 1000.127.04-08)
Exhibit by Evelyn Gerson for the 2009 Chevy Chase Historical Society Gala at 7401 Brookville Road
Sonnemann & Son
When the Land Company planned the community of Chevy Chase, it initially banned commercial development in order to preserve a quiet, leafy, suburban feel. The problem with this restriction, however, was that it made purchasing household goods, especially food, inconvenient. Fortunately, Theodore A. Sonnemann, Sr. and Jr., owned and operated a store called the Chevy Chase Market on their property for several decades on the east side of Brookville Road at number 6509 in what is now the VIllage. This business pre-existed any other establishment. Surveys of maps from this period tell us that the Sonnemanns lived and worked just beyond the Land Company's first subdivision and its streets starting to flank Connecticut Avenue. The Sonnemann family had a dairy farm in Tennallytown and stocked their store with merchandise from Georgetown. By 1907, people living in Chevy Chase had three alternatives for stocking their households. They could shop at the general store, travel three miles to Tennallytown where a big shopping district existed, or order goods from downtown stores and have them sent on the Land Company's freight car, which dropped them off at the nearest trolley stop. In response to competition from the Connecticut Avenue streetcar line, the Sonnemanns began a delivery service to local homes.
In 1955 the Sonnemann's cousin, Chester E. Mills, opened the Chevy Chase Village Supply in the Market building, selling household goods and hardware. Later, High Dairy moved in and occupied the front space of the building, while the VIllage Supply moved to the rear until it closed in 1979. In 1981, the building burned and the site was turned into a public park next to 6515 Brookville Road, the home the elder Sonnemann built in 1906.
Sonneman & Son Delivery Cart, donated by J. Willard Nalls, Jr. [1987.03.01]
T.A. Sonnemann & Son Market, from the CCHS collection [1987.03.02]
Chevy Chase VIllage Supply, donated by William Mills [1989.09.14]
Park with 6516 Brookville Road in the background, courtesy WIlliam Mills [2008.175.07]