|Title||"The Chevy Chase Land Company: The Beginning"|
"The Chevy Chase Land Company: The Beginning"
CONSTRUCTION to Create a Community
Exhibit produced by Eleanor Ford for the Chevy Chase Historical Society. Mounted in June 1990 to mark the 100th Anniversary of the Chevy Chase Land Company.
Water Tower-Rosemary Circle (1989.13.01) :
Built by the Land Co. in 1893 to hold 300,000 gallons, pumped from twenty artesian wells dug nearby. 130 feet high, 20 feet in diameter, with a sprial outside stairway. A landmark and observation port until 1934.
5804 Connecticut Avenue (1988.05.12) :
The first house to be occupied in Chevy Chase. Designed by Lindley Johnson (and Leon Dessez?), it was built by the Land Co. for Mr. Stellwagen, but it was Mr. and Mrs. Dessez who actually lived here. Their cow grazed in Chevy Chase Circle. Garage added later.
5901 Connecticut Avenue (1988.05.01):
Howard S. Nyman, Secretary of the Land Co., and second resident of Chevy Chase, moved into the house built by the Land Co.
5900 Connecticut Avenue (1988.05.16):
Judge and Mrs. Denis Claude were the third family in Chevy Chase, renting this house built by the Land Co. Their son Herbert was Supervising Engineer of the Rock Creek Railway. Their daughter Jessie kept the Post Office in this house from 1893-1896.
9 Chevy Chase Circle (1988.07.19):
Designed by Lindley Johnson for Senator William M. Stewart (1827-1909), a Land Co. stockholder and Newlands' fellow Senator from Nevada. Built by the Land Co., the house was used by Senator Newlands and his family for a few years. Nathan Barrett's new plantings cover the front slope.
3 East Lenox Street (1988.05.15):
Designed by Leon Dessez and built by the Land Co. for Morris Hacker, Engineer, who laid out the first Chevy Chase Club golf course, which straddled Connecticut Avenue!
The First Village School (1995.07.04):
A yellow frame building built by the Land Co. which heated it and paid the teacher's salary. On the site of All Saints' former rectory, in back of a garden designed by Nathan Barrett. The new boxwoods in the foreground of the picture are now very large.
The Village Hall, 5906 Connecticut Avenue (2008.190.04):
Built by the Land Co. in 1896, it housed the Post Office moved from the Claude's house and the library started by Newlands' daughters. The fire gong was at the left corner of the building.
The E.V. Brown School (1988.07.08):
Built by the Land Co. and opened on March 14, 1898 on the site of the present Community Center, for all Chevy Chase students. Maryland taxpayers were in time declared ineligible and had to have their own school.
Community School, 3905 Bradley Lane (2008.166.03):
Built in 1898 by the Land Co. on land donated by the Company for Chevy Chase, Maryland students.
The Chevy Chase Historical Society wishes to thank the following people for their most valuable contributions to this exhibit:
All Saints Church staff, Chevy Chase Club staff, Bill Duvall, Gavin Farr, 4-H Center staff, Jack Frazer, Roselle George, Don Hawkins, Michele Horwitz, Edith Jarvis, Leroy King, Ara Mesrobian, Patricia Nagel, and Bob Truax.
Exhibit 6 of 6, see also see also 1000.106.01-05