|Title||Chevy Chase Circle, 1892-1992|
Chevy Chase Circle, 1892-1992
Exhibit produced in 1992 for the founding of the "Friends of Chevy Chase Circle."
Key to photo locations [1000.123.02a]
The Chevy Chase Historical Society is grateful for photographs from
All Saints Church
"Chevy Chase for Homes"
The Chevy Chase Land Company
The Historical Society of Washington, D.C.
Edith C. Jarvis
Leroy O. King
Julia R. Thomas for all 1992 photos
Robert A. Truax
1. Chevy Chase trolley stop c. 1900
Tracks laid 1892, taken up 1935
E.V. Brown School in background (south)
1992: Site of trolley stop
Bus station at right - Connecticut Avenue bus line opened in 1922
2. Thomas J. Fisher Company's "Office of the Chevy Chase Properties" opened sometime before 1916
3. All Saints Episcopal Church, built 1901
1992: All Saints today, with additions of 1914,1924, and 1949-54
4. The Chevy Chase Land Company's first Maryland office, 1892, soon thereafter donated to Chevy Chase Village for the first school. All Saints Church started in this building.
1992: Land Company office site
#5 Chevy Chase Circle, built 1906-07
Original boxwood; privet hedge replaced with hemlocks
5. The Lodge, built 1892 by the Chevy Chase Land Company
Garage added later
Now #5804 Connecticut Avenue
1992: #5800 Connecticut Avenue, built 1958 south of the Lodge, between it and Chevy Chase Circle
6. View of north edge of Chevy Chase Circle, 1892
House at left is #5900 Connecticut Avenue, built by Chevy Chase Land Co.
Huse at right center, between Kirke and Irving, also built by Land Co, has been replaced by four brick houses.
House at right is #9 Chevy Chase Circle, built by Land Co.
1992: The view north from the Circle today
To left, #3 Magnolia Drive and #5800 Connecticut Avenue
To right, #9 Chevy Chase Circle
Center fountain, 1933 memorial to Senator Newlands
7. #9 Chevy Chase Circle, built 1893 by the Chevy Chase Land Co. for Senator William M. Stewart, a stockholder. Senator Francis G. Newlands, founder of the Land Co., lived here several years.
1992: #9 Chevy Chase Circle today
The house was redesigned 1909-14 for owner William S. Corby
8. View east across the Circle, after 1911
Left to right: #9 Chevy Chase Circle; Western Avenue; unidentified wood frame building; Chevy Chase Apartment built 1910; Blessed Sacrament Chapel, built 1911
1992:The same view east today
Left to right: #9 Chevy Chase Circle; Western Avenue; Blessed Sacrament, built 1926-27; Chevy Chase Apartment; Blessed Sacrament School, built 1929 on the site of the first chapel
9. Chevy Chase Presbyterian Church, built 1910, on the site of the present church parking lot, facing Connecticut Avenue
1992: Chevy Chase Presbyterian Church today, built 1923-24, north of the first church, facing Patterson Street
Additional exhibit materials:
Panel showing recent improvements (panel was borrowed from the Chevy Chase Land Co.)
The landscape of Chevy Chase Circle, commissioned by the family and friends of Senator Newlands, devised and executed by E.W. Donn Jr. with the Garden Club of Maryland which donated many of the plants, and given to the U.S. Government, has been maintained by the U.S. Park Service which in 1956 augmented the design by extending and repairing the flagstone walks and replacing missing willow oaks and azaleas.
In 1990, to commemorate its hundredth anniversary, the Chevy Chase Land Company restored the stonework of the fountain while the U.S. Park Service put it in working order and the next year replaced more oaks and planted 6000 red tulips (General Eisenhower) massed in curved beds.
The Tree Committee of Chevy Chase Village has begun to establish a ring of trees around the outer rim of the Circle, and double rows of trees along the streets leading from the Circle, as envisioned by the original planners of Chevy Chase.