|Title||7401 Brookville Road|
7401 Brookville (Brookeville) Road "End Lane" Bradshaw House (p. 5 of 8: see 1000.127.01-04 and 1000.127.06-08)
Exhibit by Evelyn Gerson for the 2009 Chevy Chase Historical Society Gala at 7401 Brookville Road
Brookville Road Shopping Center
This shopping area is one of the few commercial strips in Chevy Chase to be developed and sits
on the east side of Brookville Road between Turner and Taylor Streets. Just like Sonnemann &
Son, this commercial zone exists in spite of the Land Company's restrictions for Chevy Chase
because it was carved out of land in Harry Martin's subdivision, Martin's Additions, rather than
Land Company holdings. Martin did not institute a commercial ban. The center opened in the
1920s with a dress shop and barbershop, as well as a pharmacy owned by "Doc" and Mrs.
Shapiro. Affectionately known as "Doc's" by neighbors, the pharmacy also had a luncheon
counter that served ice cream and milkshakes and became a favorite hangout for local kids. The
area expanded in the 1940s and again in 2006.
Charley Orme and Donald Bradley outside Brookeville Pharmacy, 1934, courtesy of
Andrew T. Cummings [2008.176.04]
Brookeville Pharmacy in the Winter, circa 1930s, courtesy of Andrew T. Cummings [2008.176.05]