|Title||100 Years of Capital Traction|
|Author||LeRoy O. King, Jr.|
100 Years of Capital Traction
The Story of Streetcars in the Nations Capital
By LeRoy O. King Jr.
Taylor Publishing Company
Early Bus Operation, p.118
The motorbus became important in the Twenties. The traction companies saw it as a supplement to rail service and as a replacement for marginal trolley lines. By the end of the decade, though, it would be a major factor in the city's transit picture. The unsuccessful Metropolitan's Coach Company's operation was the first motorbus operation in the city In 1921, however, the Washington Rapid Transit Company established successful operation on 16th Street. The company operated two routes south from 16th Street and Columbia Road, one to Potomac Park and one to 8th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue. The operation boasted fifteen buses.
The following year, Capital Traction and Washington Railway started joint operation of the Woodley Road Bus line.12 In 1923, the Carnegie Institute on Connecticut Avenue asked Capital Traction to substitute buses for street cars north of Rock Creek Bridge from 1.30 to 5:30 a.m. The request allowed the Institute to conduct experiments which were interfered with by trolleys.13 Capital Traction found buses more economical for "owl" service and continued it.
Regular bus services were established by both traction companies throughout the decade. Some of these replaced electric car operations such as Randle Highlands and the Washington Interurban while others opened new territories. Capital Traction introduced the "Chevy Chase Coach Line," a deluxe extra-fare service from Chevy Chase to downtown in 1925.14 Of course, the Washington Rapid Transit prospered from the growth of the suburbs north and east of their 16th Street trunk line.
Although most extensions were now bus service, streetcar service was extended to Rosslyn, Virginia, over the new Key Bridge on December 1, 1923. The District required the company to collect a half cent per passenger bridge toll and special tickets were sold for this. The opening of Key Bridge meant the establishment of a new terminal for the Washington and Old Dominion on the Virginia side of the river Their terminal was on the west side of the Capital Traction loop while the Washington-Virginia Railway cars had their terminal on the east side. Neither line had physical connection with each other or with the Capital Traction.
Kensington Railway pp. 96-101 --Mentions Chevy Chase Lake
Picture of Kensington Railway's first 1 trolly car at Chevy Chase Lake about 1905 (p. 97)
Francis G. Newlands mentioned as president as both The Chevy Chase Land Company and The Rock Creek Railway, pp.28-31