|Title||4-H: An American Idea, 1900-1980|
|Author||Wessel, Thomas and Marilyn Wessel|
A history of 4-H. Published by the National 4-H Council, 7100 Connecticut Avenue, Chevy Chase Maryland, 20815. Copyright 1982.
From Chapter 3:
The search for a site for the 4 H center continued through 1949 and 1950. Then word came of the availability of the Chevy Chase Junior College property just north of the Washington, D.C., boundary on upper Connecticut Avenue. Originally established in 1893 as the Chevy Chase Inn for travelers on an electric railway (aaa:iecting Maryland to the nation's capital, the property proved a popular summer resort, but became a white elephant in winter. (Consequently, Francis G. Newlands, the original developer who ¢ter was a senator from Nevada, sold the site in 1903 to the Chevy iChase College for Young Ladies, which later became Chevy Chase Junior College. The property in 1950 encompassed 121/a acres and lllldings complete with dormitory space and kitchen facilities. While the property was an ideal location, its purchase price was !esiderably more than Extension officials had anticipated Winding. Another complication arose when it was discovered that Department of the Army was considering the campus for a project. The two problems were attacked at the same time.
Certainly money was the paramount problem for Extension personnel. A first mortgage for $200,000 was obtainable from the suitable Life Assurance Society, but that left the Sutton committee short of the purchase price. Aiton recalled asking a wide range a " institutions how they could raise the money. Then, one day he went to the Riggs National Bank in Washington, D.C., to seek a loan. Aiton recalled that he received a friendly reception at theII . but their officers explained that they did not usually make such loans, particularly unsecured loans. Aiton returned to his office, feeling that he had not lost anything by trying. Later in the day, a bank official called Aiton and asked him to come to the bank to discuss the loan further.