Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object ID 2009.1001.09
Object Name Architectural plans
Date June 1893
Description T.W. Birney House, Second Floor Plan
House in Chevy Chase, seond floor
June 1893

From 2009.01.01, "A Walking Tour of Century-old Chevy Chase Houses":
With only five owners in over 100 years, this spacious house, combining features of the Colonial Revival and Craftsmen styles on a basic four square form, has understandably been one in which its residents have felt comfortable. Built in ca. 1894, the clapboard and shingle house, designed by Leon Dessez, originally showed plans for a one-bay porch, which was modified while under the original construction to wrap around the southeast corner of the structure. With the addition of a "family room" on the first floor, the open porch ends at the corner...
According to records, the house, known as the Birney House, was built for T.W. Birney, who moved his family in soon after construction was completed. His daughters were instrumental in founding the Chevy Chase Library, which at that time was housed in what is now the Village Hall."

Shows balcony, bedroom, dressing room, hall, bedroom, servant's room, bathroom, bedroom, bedroom, closets
Also displays stars, windows, and measurements
Scale: 0.25" equals 1'
Size: 14" by 20"
ONE EXTRA COPY MOVED OFFSITE